Hi there! I’m Jennifer Bowden a registered nutritionist and nutrition columnist for the New Zealand Listener magazine. I love to create inspiring healthy eating articles, blogs and seminars for people who crave a healthier diet and lifestyle!
I’ve been writing a weekly nutrition column and feature stories for the NZ Listener magazine for over nine years. The NZ Listener is a leading current affairs magazine in New Zealand, so literally hundreds of thousands of people read my nutrition advice every week - including many leading health professionals. I've also written and worked behind-the-scenes for the fantastic Healthy Food Guide magazine.
I'm a degree-qualified nutritionist and spend a lot of time researching and writing my nutrition advice to make sure it's both awesome and accurate! So it's really rewarding to have that effort recognised by leading nutrition professionals, with feedback such as this note from a Professor of Human Nutrition: "Just a quick note to say that I thought your article was EXCELLENT. Well done." And this email from an Associate Professor of Nutrition: "Thank you for the great article. As always, both an informative and interesting piece of written work." Helping people find truly useful healthy eating solutions makes me happy and drives everything I do!
If you're looking for ideas on how to eat a delicious and healthy diet, or maybe how to lose a bit of unwanted weight in a healthy way, I'd love to help and inspire you! However, if you're looking for a quick detox or miracle smoothie that'll evaporate body fat, you've landed on the wrong website. My focus is on creating a healthy life-long relationship with food, and to ditch both the fast food and quick fixes that harm your body, hurt your soul and let's face it - never work. If you're ready to build a loving relationship with your diet I'd love to help you!
I’ve got a…
- Master of Science (Distinction) in Human Nutrition - the 'Distinction' means I was a top-ranked student.
- Bachelor of Science (First Class), Honours - in Human Nutrition - again, the 'Honours' means I was top-ranked in my undergraduate degree programme too.
- And I was a finalist in the 2016 Canon-Media Awards for Health reporting - these are like the Academy Awards of the print media world in New Zealand.
When I’m not researching or writing I can be found…
- building Lego castles, super-hero lairs, and Star Wars space-ships with my two boys.
- taking a long walk anywhere there's a bunch of lovely trees or a good stretch of beach.
- hunting through Houzz.com and Pinterest for interior design inspiration - my husband has finally realised the decoration of our home will never be finished... sigh.
Here are 4 things most people don’t know about me…
- I love classic cars - my dream car is a 1958 Plymouth Fury - I wanted to be a mechanic and I have my motorbike license.
- Like many nutritionists, I started my career as an electronics technician working for HMNZ Dockyard maintaining the electronics equipment on Navy frigates... strange, but true.
- My favourite television show is Fast 'n Loud on the Discovery Turbo channel - yeeha!
- Lemon-anything makes me happy.... lemon meringue pie, Meyer lemon salad dressing, lemon yoghurt cake, lemon tea... oh, and Whittaker's Dark Ghana chocolate - did I mention I love it?!
Want to learn more about how I can help you?
Here’s your next move: Jump on my mailing list pronto and nab a free healthy eating e-booklet (sign up in the green box). Then pop over and say gidday on my Facebook page: Real Food - Real Quick - Real Life. I check in to Facebook every day and love to chat with folks who are keen on healthier eating.
Thanks for reading my story!
Enjoy hunting around my website and have an awesome day!